Sunday 14 June 2015

End of Days - Susan EE



End of Days – Susan Ee (Book 3 in the Angelfall trilogy)


End of Days is the final book in the Angelfall series by Susan EE. A series I have loved right from the start. Seeing as this is book 3, this review will be fairly short as I am going to try and contain as few spoilers as I possibly can.

‘After a daring escape from the angels, Penryn and Raffe are on the run. They’re both desperate to find a doctor who can reverse the twisted changes inflicted by the angels on Raffe and Penryn’s sister. As they set off in search of answers, a startling revelation about Raffe’s past unleashes dark forces that threaten them all.

When the angels release an apocalyptic nightmare onto humans, both sides are set on a path toward war. As unlikely alliances form and strategies shift, who will emerge victorious? Forced to pick sides in the fight for control of the earthly realm, Raffe and Penryn must choose: Their own kind, or each other?

The reason I have enjoyed this series so much is due to the uniqueness of it, set in a post apocalyptic world, being destroyed by Angels and Demons alike. Not only is the world in itself unique, but so are the characters. We have a strong main protagonist in Penryn, as well as support from her younger sister Paige, and her crazy mother too. On top of that we have our darker characters in the likes of Archangel Uriel and fallen Angel Beliel. There is so much contrast between each of the characters and they all have their own story to tell.

Raffe, or otherwise known as archangel Raphael, is probably my favourite character within this story, torn between his duties and allegiance to his ‘species’ but also torn between the feelings he has towards his daughter of man, Penryn. These two together were great, the banter, wit and sarcasm that constantly bounced between the two of them was brilliant to read, and has been a constant throughout all three books. Granted I certainly wanted a bit more romance, but that could be more to do with my love for Raffe. I mean who wouldn’t want their own Angel to swoon over?

“I have better things to do.”
“Like what?”
He opens one eye and looks at me. “Like convince a stubborn girl to admit she’s madly in love with me.”

The plot for this series has been brilliant and constant throughout, there have been various twists and turns and the action and suspense has been brilliant. You cannot fault the fight scenes that have taken place in this series, as they have really been kick ass. With the hint of romance that there is, it is not overbearing and does not take away from the story. Susan’s writing is truly amazing, and makes each of these books a quick, easy and fun read throughout.

The only negative I can draw from this was the very short epilogue at the end, I say very short it probably covers a 30 second event, again I say event...it is literally just a random moment. I was a little disappointed in this as I would have preferred the epilogue to be much further into the future, possibly where the world is at now, what is everyone doing? How is Raffe coping, what is going on with Raffe and Penryn, how is Paige surviving. Just how has this family accepted the new extended family members of the locusts?!?! I felt an opportunity was missed here to answer some questions us as a reader may have about the future of the world. Nevertheless this was still a great series and I am gutted it is over, no more Raffe fixes for me! I have no idea how I am going to cope!

I would highly recommend this series if you are into action, post apocalyptic YA stories, with a hint of romance, but filled with some true horrors too. This is 100% up there as one of my favourite book series.

I have given this 4 out of 5 stars





“I challenge you to come find us.’ ‘This is Penryn Young, Daughter of Man, Killer of Angels.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment