Thursday 7 May 2015

The Infinite Sea - Rick Yancey

The Infinite Sea – Rick Yancey


The Infinite Sea is book two in the 5th Wave series by Rick Yancey. Having only this week, reading and reviewing The 5th Wave, I was eager to get book 2. I was a little disappointed in how small the book was compared to the first one when it arrived, however knew it would be a quick read, which it is. I read The Infinite Sea easily within a day, granted I did nothing else and was off work that day, but it was quickly devoured in a matter of hours. I am a little undecided on my feelings with regards to this book, but I will get into that in a bit.


‘How do you rid the Earth of seven billion humans? Rid the humans of their humanity.

Surviving the first four waves was nearly impossible. Now Cassie Sullivan finds herself in a new world, a world in which the fundamental trust that binds us together is gone. As the 5th Wave rolls across the landscape, Cassie, Ben, and Ringer are forced to confront the Others’ ultimate goal: the extermination of the human race.

Cassie and her friends haven’t seen the depths to which the Others will sink, nor have the Others seen the heights to which humanity will rise, in the ultimate battle between life and death, hope and despair, love and hate.’


The characters within this story were still great, Cassie was a strong Female protagonist, however in this story that is split between her and Ringer, who gets her own narrated section in this book. Rick covers the majority of the characters viewpoints in this novel, which allows us to learn more about the individuals themselves. I greatly enjoyed this with Ringer, who I didn’t really like in the first book and yet grew to love in this one. One thing that irked me a lot was the group sticking to that militant mind-set, I understood they had been in those camps and trained in that way, however I really struggled with little Sam wanting to shoot Vosch in the face, even worse the rejection towards the teddy. This was my own personal problem though, as it is cleverly written to highlight how people have had to change and adapt to the situation to hand, no matter what age. But I missed the complete innocence of Sam and with his Bear.

I struggled with staying focused on this story, I felt it lacked a little from the first one, which seemed to keep me constantly engaged with information and action and what was happening. This all seemed a bit slow until the end where it really picked up. I was disappointed in how little Evan appeared in the story, especially with how the first book ended, and what took place between Cassie and him. For him to then turn up in this book, practically falling apart, and yet she was completely ruthless towards him. The story like I said was a little more difficult to follow, it was lacking that certain something which caused it to drag, and I think if it weren’t for the ending I would have given this a lower rating than I have.

I am still completely invested in this series, and I am eager for book three to be released later this month. Rick Yancey’s writing is truly incredible, and his characters remain brilliant, with their unique and fiery characters. I am hoping that the final book in the series will be a much stronger instalment than this one. So I would still recommend giving it a read and seeing how it pans out. As I know I certainly will be.



I have given this book (only just) a 4 out of 5 star rating





No comments:

Post a Comment