Monday 13 October 2014

Fangirl - Rainbow Rowell Book Review





It is safe to say, I am late to the Rainbow Rowell Fangirl bandwagon. I bought this book a few months ago after hearing great things about it and seeing many a 4/5 star review. However, I never got round to reading it, I just didn’t have that pull of ‘’I need to read it now!’’ that I had with many of the other books I had purchased. Safe to say I completely regret that I didn’t.

I don’t really want to talk too much about the content in the book or the characters, as much as I know a review is solely for that, but I really don’t want to take away that first experience of reading this book, because it really is so enjoyable. I read it in one sitting, all be it, I was up until half 2 in the morning….totally worth it may I add.

Fangirl is an amazing book, I honestly wish I picked it up and turned that first page the instant I bought it. This is such a heartfelt, coming of age book that is so relatable in so many ways. The character Cather (Cath) is the main protagonist, following her struggles as an introvert, lost in her fan fiction world of Simon Snow. Watching her transition through to college, with her twin Wren, who is the complete opposite as the social butterfly that she is, is not only heart wrenching at times, but humorous with just how easily anyone can relate to her.

Cath is one who loves to lose herself in her fictional world online, writing fan fiction about her favourite Simon Snow series (something quite similar to that of a certain Harry Potter) she is not one for parties, or drinking, or even making friends. She has after all, always had her twin there for her to do that. But with Wren cutting the ‘twin string’ as I see it and devouring her independence as the college student she is, Cath is now left to make her own way in this world, completely out of her comfort zone.

I thoroughly enjoyed Rowell’s writing in this book; before you know it you are completely absorbed into this world, encouraging Cath along with each twist and turn she faces, you feel sorry for her and her lack of confidence, her over analysing of situations, but you also laugh along with her. ‘’Emergency Dance Party’’ being an all-time favourite moment, for many a reason. There is nothing more you want, than to root for her throughout the entirety of this book.

The character development throughout this book continually grows, characters I was unsure of or didn’t like I grew to like, characters I thought I would enjoy actually infuriated me, only to curve ball back round for me to like them again, you really feel each moment and each situation. Which really is a credit to Rowell’s talent as a writer.

My one negative, if you can even call it that, as much as I loved to read Cath’s fanfiction, at times I felt it wasn’t needed, I know it was the sole basis of the ‘Fangirl’ theme, but i think I got a little greedy with wanting to spend more time with Cath on her journey. Than the odd page from Simon Snow or Carry On Simon Snow.

I thoroughly recommend you read this book, it is a young adult genre, but I’m 25 years old….and I love nothing more than a good young adult book and this is one of my favourites so far. Rowell is by far an amazing author, and I cannot wait to dive into her other books such as Eleanor and Park and Attachments. I just hope it absorbs me as much into the pages as this book did.

I would give it 4 out of 5 star rating .


No comments:

Post a Comment