Tuesday 11 August 2015

Dream a Little Dream - Giovanna Fletcher

Dream a Little Dream – Giovanna Fletcher


Dream a Little Dream is Giovanna Fletchers latest novel. Having read Billy and Me, and Billy and Me at Christmas (yet to get round to You’re the One That I Want) I just knew this would be a good one, Gi certainly knows how to write a romance, and not just a bog standard romance, one filled with humour, and more realistic build ups and scenarios, that you fall straight into the pages of.

‘Sarah is doing just fine. Sure she's been single for the last five years, and has to spend an uncomfortable amount of time around her ex-boyfriend, his perfect new girlfriend and all their mutual friends. And yes, her job as a PA to one of the most disgusting men in London is mind-numbingly tedious and her career is a constant disappointment to her mother. But it's really okay. She's happy (ish).

But it's not surprising that when Sarah starts dreaming about a handsome stranger, she begins to look forward to falling asleep every night. Reality isn't nearly as exciting. That is until her dream-stranger makes an unexpected real-life appearance, leaving Sarah questioning everything she thought she wanted.

Because no one ever really finds the person of their dreams... do they?’

Sarah is our main protagonist in this novel, following her at her pretty crappy job, where she is underrated and her talent wasted. Along with getting to know her amazing friendship group that she has had since uni..oh and her ex Dan, who just so happens to also be part of that group, who dumped her for ‘Perfect Lexie’ who just so happens to now be a part of that same group too. How she was able to remain calm and even sane is beyond me, as I think that would have broken me and left me as a shell of a person!

I found Sarah completely relatable as a person. Working in the Media, knowing what the industry is like as a PA, being in love with reality TV shows, her quirkiness and humour, I honestly feel like if she were a real person I would be incredibly good friends with her. This all added to the experience of the story, and following her through her journey, as I did nothing but root for her, scold her when she was being completely blind to the obvious or down on herself, and laughing along with her and her wacky dreams. I loved how much Sarah blossomed throughout this story too, the confidence she developed, and the banter she had, not only with her friends but Brett too, it was quick, sharp and funny, and a joy to read.

Having watched Gi’s YouTube channel, and reading this book, I could really see her voice coming through, and more particularly her brilliant sense of humour and fun nature. Something that I absolutely love when an author brings that into a story they are writing. It really adds that special something to the table, making it such an enjoyable and fast read.

I read Dream a Little Dream in two sittings, in under 24 hours…yes this did mean staying up late reading when I had to be up early for work the next day, but I just needed to know what would happen, with Sarah, and Dream Brett and Real Brett. I was completely hooked and invested into the story and simply could not get enough of it. Granted I am fairly shattered this morning as I am sat here typing this up, but it was totally worth it!

As with Billy and Me, Giovanna, produces some brilliant characters, that each bring something extra, all different, and all with their unique personalities. Making them enjoyable reads and fun to get to know and learn more about, there isn't a single character that I would happily not read about, as they are all so different. Well maybe Jonathans wife, as she seemed a bit nasty. The friendship group as a whole are a brilliant support network, and at one point facing a horrible situation, but they all pull together and are there for each other, something i found truly lovely, as they weren't just friends, they were a family too.

So yet again, Gi has produced another brilliant story, that I have thoroughly enjoyed, also with the news that there will be Dream a Little Christmas Dream released at the end of this year, has me incredibly excited to see where everyone is 10 months later. This really is a perfect, fun chick lit, that anyone will enjoy. With brilliant writing, some amazing characters and a great story to boot, what more could you possibly want from a book? So pick it up and give it a read!


I have given this 4.5 out of 5 stars





No comments:

Post a Comment