Monday 20 April 2015

Rebel Belle - Rachel Hawkins

Rebel Belle – Rachel Hawkins




I have seen many reviews of this book, a lot that compared it to a southern version of Buffy, so of course I instantly knew that meant I had to go out and get this book. This is the first book by Rachel Hawkins that I have read, and I have found her to be a great writer, producing a brilliant voice throughout this story.

First here is the blurb, so you have a jist of what the story is about:

Harper Price, peerless Southern belle, was born ready for a Homecoming tiara. But after a strange run-in at the dance imbues her with incredible abilities, Harper's destiny takes a turn for the seriously weird. She becomes a Paladin, one of an ancient line of guardians with agility, super strength and lethal fighting instincts.

Just when life can't get any more disastrously crazy, Harper finds out who she's charged to protect: David Stark, school reporter, subject of a mysterious prophecy and possibly Harper's least favourite person. But things get complicated when Harper starts falling for him—and discovers that David's own fate could very well be to destroy Earth.’

Rebel Belle was a fun and hilarious read, I absolutely loved the characters, and loved the humour throughout. There were points where I literally laughed out loud at what the main protagonist Harper would come out with. One of my favourites being the following:

“I picked up the nearest weapon I could lay my hands on: a stapler. I lifted it, going for “menacing.” I admit it lacked a certain elegance, but hey. It was worth a shot. David placed his hand on my arm and pushed it back down.
“What?”

“Just . . . that’s embarrassing for all of us,” he replied.” 

Although there is an intricate and action packed plot within this, with myths and details about ‘super powers’ this is such an enjoyable and light hearted read that can easily be devoured.

Hawkins development of the characters throughout this book was great. Harper and David, were by far incredibly enjoyable to read and follow, from their feuding, to the moments of gratitude they so disdainly felt for each other, it was brilliant and entertaining. Harpers group of girlfriends, were good fun as well, all be it that it was clear to see that they could be quite catty and gossipy. I really did take a dislike to Mary Beth, instantly, but I guess that’s because she really was all over Harpers boyfriend Ryan. I struggled with Harpers relationship with Ryan as you could see that things were not right for a while, and that they both would have been happier potentially as just friends, but Harpers need to achieve at everything and be the ultimate multitasker, blinded her to this. Harpers best friend Bee… I'm not sure how I feel about her, she is constantly told she is the ‘Best best friend ever’ but half the time she really isn't, the way she manipulates Harper into going to the Cotillion, and the way she has a go at Harper for not replying to her texts. It was only over the weekend….two days…how can someone not survive two days without a text back. Especially knowing you will just see them Monday at school, but I don’t know, maybe that is just my own grievances there.

I thoroughly enjoyed the plot of this story, and there were some unexpected twists and turns, especially with the ending! Rachel Hawkins leaves you wanting more, no in fact, she leaves you needing more. As that is how enjoyable this book is. I honestly cannot wait to get my hands on the next book in the series Miss Mayhem.

I would highly recommend this book if you are looking for a light hearted, enjoyable and hilarious read, with a great plot and brilliant characters. There really isn’t much to dislike, if at all.


I have given 4.5 out of 5 stars.








No comments:

Post a Comment