Monday 2 February 2015

Crown of Midnight - Sarah J. Maas



Crown of Midnight – Sarah J. Maas



*If you haven’t read the first book, there may be a few spoilers for it in this review*


Crown of Midnight is the second novel in the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas and wow did it pack a punch. After reading Throne of Glass, I was absorbed into this epic world of fantasy, magic, and murder and I instantly loved the world Sarah had created through the pages in her book. Because of this I eagerly awaited to receive Crown of Midnight, desperate to know and see more of this truly amazing world. Safe to say I really was not disappointed.

Crown of Midnight, if even possible, is even more brilliant than the first book. It almost feels like as Sarah goes along, she becomes more comfortable within this world and her writing and creations are really brought to life. You create each character and setting within your imagination so perfectly that you feel you are there yourself until you close that book, and I truly love that about this author and this series.

Crown of Midnight follows on from Celaena’s story and her new title of Kings Champion. On a mission assigned to her by the king. We still have the main characters with Dorian, Chaol and Nehemia and the relationships Celaena has with them. Her friendship with Dorian is slightly strained due to the sudden end to their relationship in the first book; however her friendship with Chaol grows stronger than ever. I really enjoyed the character development throughout this book. We are given more POV chapters from Dorian and Chaol and even at one point the King and Nehemia herself. It really allowed us to learn more about the characters, their feelings and views and where they stood on exactly what the King of Adarlan was doing. I found it interesting learning more about Chaol and seeing a more softer less ‘Captain of the Guard’ like side to him, and I feel after reading this book we will learn even more about him when he heads to Anielle. Dorian was incredibly interesting and I really didn’t expect that little twist with him, and I am certainly looking forward to seeing how that plays out in later books, as if that is only the beginning of what’s happening, who knows what will happen a few months or so down the line. It will certainly change a few of the character dynamics. 

Celaena was for me as always the biggest character development within this book. I felt like we saw two sides of a coin with her, the start of this book, yes, she is on a mission from the King to assassinate his requested targets, however we see a much caring and almost sweet person, with what she does for Chaol on his birthday and her reaction to just how moved Chaol is by it. To then nearer the end of the novel, seeing Celaena as the complete badass that she is, you really see exactly how she got her reputation as an assassin. As much as most people may feel some scenes were gory and violent, I really loved all of it, I felt it was great to see just the strength that she empowers and the rage she unleashes, for vengeance and to protect those she cares most about. At times within this book we truly felt Celaena’s heartbreak, we felt her pain. The moment she screamed to Chaol You will never be my friend. You will always be my enemy’ I was devastated! I have been and always will be Team Chaol but to be able to feel that hatred through Sarah’s writing was incredible, and I was left in complete shock at it.

I have to say I did slightly guess the ending to this book, however it was still shocking to know and to have my theory confirmed as such, but it is a great plot twist and certainly leave you eager to pick up the third book in the series Heir of Fire.

Crown of Midnight is full of action, betrayal, magic and even corruption. It truly is an epic and enthralling read that leaves you hanging on to ever word Sarah writes. Sarah J Maas is an incredible author and vastly becoming one of my favourite authors. I am absolutely loving the Throne of Glass series, and I have no idea how I am going to cope once I finish Heir of Fire and have to wait for the fourth book in this series to be released later this year!!


I have given this book 5 out of 5 stars


We each survive in our own way – Celaena Sardothien

No comments:

Post a Comment