Wednesday 12 November 2014

Billy and Me - Giovanna Fletcher

Billy and Me – Giovanna Fletcher



I bought this book quite a while ago, looking for a nice feel good romantic contemporary book. This is Giovanna Fletchers first novel, and I was intrigued to learn of her styling and concept within the book, and just what world she brings to us through its pages.

Sophie May has a secret.
One that she's successfully kept for years. It's meant that she's had to give up her dreams of going to university and travelling the world to stay in her little village, living with her mum and working in the local teashop.
But then she meets the gorgeous Billy - an actor with ambitions to make it to the top. And when they fall in love, Sophie is whisked away from the comfort of her life into Billy's glamorous - but ruthless - world.
Their relationship throws Sophie right into the spotlight after years of shying away from attention. Can she handle the constant scrutiny that comes with being with Billy? And most of all, is she ready for her secret heartbreak to be discovered and shared with the nation?
Just from reading this blurb I was intrigued, by the idea of a woman with a secret, the setting of a village and a local teashop and the idea of all this being turned on its head simply from meeting a man named Billy. There just felt like there would be so much to happen in this book, and there really was.
The story follows that of Sophie May, a kind, giving and yet shy girl. Who works in the local tea shop ‘Tea on the hill’ Now to say that I loved that she spent her time baking was an understatement, I have always loved the idea of working in a teashop, in a village making cakes and chatting away to the locals. It just makes you feel all warm and homely just thinking about it. She work’s alongside Molly, a much older lady who is the owner of the shop, she seems to be Sophie’s best friend, and has really take Sophie under her wing and bringing her out of the shell she has been hiding away in  for quite some time now. The story follows Sophie, and her journey after meeting a rather handsome young man named Billy, ad her adjustments to life to accommodate that.
We are given very little of Sophie’s past, just snippets of memories and how she was at school, but no real details as to why she is the way she is or what happened. But I love that it is kept this way for quite some time, you are hidden away from the secret, given clues as such but never the full story as to what has happened to make her the way she is.
I absolutely love Sophie’s character. You immediately warm to her, and can relate to many situations she finds herself in. The humour that comes through just from her thoughts and viewpoints did have me giggle out loud, quite a few times. You really root for Sophie and you feel every emotion just as she does. I felt like I was on a rollercoaster of emotions with this book, embarrassed, happy, angry and sad….oh how sad really took hold.
We also meet Molly, who I mentioned previously, she is an elderly widow, but she has never let losing her husband hinder her, she is bright, witty and doesn’t hold back. I love the difference between the characters, almost polar opposites, but the relationship with her and Sophie is something I really cherish throughout this book. I have to say I was a bit miffed when Sophie just up and left so easily leaving poor Molly alone, but the relationship never stopped, it had its bumps, but you really warm to Molly’s character. She almost feels like a part of the family.
Jane, is Sophie’s mum, it is a bit cryptic with her at first, we learn that the reason Sophie stayed behind was for her mum. We learn of what their relationship was like, became and where it is at now. I really like this mother and daughter relationship. There was this caring bond between the two of them, despite the past, and difficulties that arose. It was nice to see the protective nature of Sophie over her mum and the development of Jane’s character leading to this almost shifting the other way. I absolutely loved the development of Jane through this book and the happiness that ensued for her (I’m being cryptic as I really don’t want to spoil any twist and turns in this book)
Finally there is Billy, now he is every bit of charm there could possibly be, he is sweet caring and sounds absolutely perfect. His relationship with Sophie is great, that perfect balance of friendship and romance. Billy at the start of this book is ideal, and as the story goes along, our loyalties and frustrations are exactly alongside that of Sophie’s, you feel her hurt, her pain and her annoyance. It certainly does become bumpy to say the least, and I was very upset to see how Billy’s character was developing (obviously without it there would be no story of course...) but you really stick with Sophie. Billy overall is a great character, he is everything you need in novel like this, and combining him with Sophie really does warm your heart.
Now I mentioned earlier that this book felt like a rollercoaster…well that’s because I was up and down and thrown around…I never saw the next thing after the other. I was shocked by certain events that happened…I despised Paul with a passion, never mind Heidi….OOOOFT!! And finally the build up to the ending, i never saw that coming…I was dealing with one sad event then BAM! Here have this too, just to make you weep a little more. I had a lump in my throat for the entirety of the end of this book. I had to close it at points, take a deep breath and remind myself it was only a story. A bit like when you watch or read Marley and me, you are devastated by the way this is ending…but have to remember it’s not real. WELL THIS FELT REAL! Giovanna’s writing is so incredible, you develop relationships with these characters, and there loss is your loss. I truly loved this story, the happy moments, awkward moments, heart break moments, and the sad moments. You also find out Sophie’s secret, and that is just another whole bagful of tears within itself.
This is book really is great, and a true credit to Giovanna’s writing and imagination, and I love that she has brought us this story to enjoy as I really could not get enough of it at all! I didn’t want it to end (thankfully there is a short novella of Billy and Me at Christmas that has just been released)
I would say if you like romance, and drama and story focused on the importance of family and friendships, this is a story for you. Just make sure you have some tissues to hand!

I would give this book a 4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment